Taking on a first or new classroom

I don't know about you, but I am a Pinterest addict. When I graduated and started applying for my first teaching position, I spent hours and hours looking for ideas for my very own classroom. I couldn't wait to get my room and start the decorating!!

Maybe you walked in to this brand new classroom or an empty old room ready for your decorations, but that's not my story. I remember walking into my classroom for the first time, and I went from excited to overwhelmed. The previous teacher had left everything. She was moving on to a fifth grade classroom and the kindergarten stuff just didn't apply. So she left it all for me...and the previous teacher left her things....and the one before her. You get the idea. How could I possibly start moving my stuff, bringing in my ideas, making this classroom my own when everyone had left theirs? I'm not saying I'm not grateful for all of the money they saved me, but I had my work cut out for me.

If you're walking into a situation similar to mine. My first advice would be to breathe. It's going to be okay. Make a list of what you want to go through and take baby steps.


  • I started with the walls. I took everything down. I kept the posters and fabric I wanted and donated the rest. 
  • I moved on to the cupboards next. I pulled everything out and made two piles...the trash pile and stuff I wanted to keep. I wiped all of the drawers and cupboards down. Then I put everything I wanted back into the cupboards...the way I wanted it. 
  • I did this again and again with the teacher desk, filing cabinets, closet...you get the idea. 
I didn't clean out my classroom in just one day. I went down my list and focused on one part of the classroom at a time. You can do it!

Send me pictures. Let's see your classroom transformation!

-Kinder Who

Here's some last minute tips..

*Check with your custodian before you start tearing your room apart. Are they done with all of the maintenance in your classroom? Don't get in their way. Your custodians will be a good resource during the school year so be good to them :)


*Check with a staff member at your school. They may have a place where you put classroom materials that you don't want. Another teacher's trash is another teacher's treasure.

*Check with your administrator before you throw out old curriculum (teacher manuals, student books, etc.). Some school districts require that you surplus it; meaning that the district doesn't want old curriculum thrown away before they try to sale it. 

*The dollar store is going to be your best friend. They have plastic containers, caddies, tubs, sandwich bags--everything you are going to need to get organized. 

*Check with your secretary or administrator...are there funds available to purchase materials to get your classroom organized? Don't spend money where you don't have to. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Classroom Decorating Tips

Welcome